More Pictures Here!
We adopt a pit bull from New York Animal Care & Control today, and just happen that the Fox 5 news are there doing a story about a potential pit bull ban in NYC, so you know what, out of nowhere I am on the news being interviewed on the reasons to adopt and trying to dissolve all the myths about pit bulls, which includes:
- Pit Bulls are less vicious than Golden Retreivers and Beagles– The American Temperament Test Society objectively tests the temperaments of various dog breeds. They evaluated more than 25,000 dogs and more than 200 breeds by methodically exposing members of a breed to a series of confrontational situations, then measuring their reaction. The average score for all breeds together: 81%. You will be surprised Pit Bulls rank higher than Beagles and Toy Poodle.
ATTS Scores by Breed
Australian Shepard: 79.2%
Cairn Terrier: 70.7%
Cocker Spaniel: 81.5%
German Shepherd: 82.8%
Golden Retriever: 83.6%
Labrador Retriever: 91.1%
Toy Poodle: 80.9%
Yorkshire Terrier: 80.0%
Now, compare these to the pit bull breeds:
American Pit Bull Terrier: 83.4%
American Staffordshire Terrier: 83.3%
Staffordshire Bull Terrier: 93.2%
- The infamous “locking jaw” is a myth- The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, “To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of ‘pounds per square inch’ can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data.” Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, “The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of ‘locking mechanism’ unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.“
- Pit Bulls Are Not Naturally Aggressive Towards Humans. While many Pit Bulls do tend to be aggressive towards other DOGS (as are most terriers), the normal, well raised Pit Bull has NO human-aggressive tendencies! In fact, human-aggression was actually bred out of the breed. The majority of Pit Bulls are affectionate, intelligent, trainable dogs. In fact, the highest obedience trial record of all time is held by an American Pit Bull Terrier named Maddy!
- Pit Bulls is not a breed– It’s a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public, including American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and others.
Here are some facts about Pit Bulls too:
- Pit Bulls are the patriotic and most decorated dog in WWI- The pit bull was so respected in the early 1900s that the US Military chose an image of a pit bull to represent the country on WWI war posters. America’s first war dog was a Pit Bull named Stubby. He earned several medals during World War I and was honored at the White House.
- Famous People Who Choose Pit Bulls As Their Companions- FDR, Thomas Edison, Jon Stewart, Rachael Ray, DMX, Jessica Alba, Adam Brody, Jessica Biel, Alicia Silverstone, Jamie Foxx, Big Boi from OutKast, Helen Keller, Fred Astaire, Billie Holiday and General George Patton all own Pit Bulls
- Pit Bulls serve as therapy/service dogs- The Chako Rescue Association has Pit Bull therapy dogs in Texas, Utah and California. Helen Keller even had a Pit Bull as her canine companion and helper. Cheyenne and Dakota are a team of hard-working Search-and-Rescue Pit Bulls in Sacramento, California. They play an important role in their community by locating missing people in conjunction with the local Sheriff. In their off-duty hours, they do charity work as therapy dogs.
- The Ken-L-Ration dog hero of 1993 was a Pit Bull named Weela- She saved 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses and a cat during a flood in Southern California. A Pit Bull named Bogart saved a four-year-old child from drowning in a swimming pool in Florida. Dixie, the Pit Bull, was inducted into the Georgia Animal Hall of Fame after she saved some children from a Cottonmouth snake.
Click on the pic above to see the story, and of course, like all mainstream media, all they want to show is what convenience to them, which means the truth are always covered. After the editing all they show is the most generalize words I utter out. Hmmm I think I need a new haircut.
If you are interested in adopting a Pit Bull or wanna know more about this supa sweet loyal companions, check out BadRap, Pit Bull Rescue Central and Smilin’ Pit. Oh don’t forget to check out Pit Bull Press!
It takes us a long time to decide her name and finally we decide to name her Wiki, after the idea of open source collaborative authoring (the most famous being Wikipedia), plus it also means fast and Quick in Hawaiian language, You can see more pictures by clicking the top menu button WIKI DA PIT!